01 October 2009

Back to playing in the Lakes

Looking over to the Duddon Valley from the side of Ulpha Fell.

Lectures have started again, but my week is still fairly free, which gives me plenty of opportunity to get out and about for a play in the Lakes. Today I managed to get a walk in down in the south. I started out from Cockley Bridge with a vague route in mind.

The rhyolite buttresses of Crinkle Crags.

From Cockley Bridge I headed off on a traversing ascent of Ulpha Fell so that I could pick up the well trodden path from Cold Pike to Crinkle Crags. Once on this path I headed on to Crinkle Crags and where possible I strayed off the path so that I could scramble up and over the rhyolite crags.

Looking down into the Langdales from the col of Cold Pike and Crinkle Crags.

Once Crinkle Crags had been taken in I headed on north to Bow Fell admiring the view, which was made better by the perfect October weather. I think it was at some point along this leg of my journey that it finally dawned on me; the Lake District is just one big play ground. I'm not sure why I've never realised this before, but I think having views of rock buttresses and tumbling rivers opened my eyes somewhat.

Pike o' Stickle from Crinkle Crags.

I took dinner at the top of Bow Fell and made my final route choice. I could either head down to Ore Gap and head down the valley, which Lingcove Beck cuts through, or head up and over Esk Pike to descend down part of the Esk Valley. I eventually decided upon the former option and headed on.

Sca Fell from Bow Fell.

I descended down the side of Lingcove Beck for most of its length, however when Swinsty Gill, which flows off Crinkle Crags, was crossed I left the former beck and headed into the Moasdale Valley. A quick descent of this valley was made so that I could pick up the Hardknott Pass road and return to Cockley Beck.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: