12 October 2009

Going Astray... Epilogue

Looking across to Raven Crag on the walk in.

I posted almost a month ago now about my climbing adventure on Raven Crag, where I set out on one route, ended up reading the guidebook wrong and finished up another route. Well today I returned to the crag, with a vague idea as too where I went wrong last time, with the hope of starting and finished Corvus (D) on this occasion.

The ropes running out along the rhyolite on pitch 5.

I decided that on my last visit I got the location of the first belay wrong, meaning that we were thrown off right from the start, and it proved to be the case as we discovered today.

The view down the valley towards Keswick from the belay at the start of pitch 5.

With the knowledge that the first belay was actually the second belay in the guidebook we were laughing. We stayed on route for the day and took in the wonderful hand traverse on the sixth pitch. It was such a shame that the traverse wasn't longer as it was so enjoyable.

Making a move up the rib of pitch 5.

On topping out we quickly scuttled around the crag, bagged one other climb, Pedestal Wall (S), walked out, drove back to the university campus and started invigilating for the bouldering competition, which was the opening event for the 09/10 season for the Newton Rigg Climbing Centre.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: