17 September 2009

Going astray

Looking across to the Rosthwaite Fells.

Today I did exactly what I said yesterday; I went climbing at Raven Crag over near Glaramara. Unfortunately we didn't get the early start I wanted, but still we were getting out climbing in perfect weather, in September and in the Lake District. What more could you ask for?

Looking up the hanging valley of Combe Ghyll with Raven Crag to the right.

The plan was to climb Corvus (D), an eight pitch route that took in a hand traverse and plenty of wandering around the crag and that was what we started on.

Looking back down Borrowdale to Derwent Water and Keswick on the approach.

However, we got slightly lost after the second pitch, unable to decided where the third pitch went. I was on the lead, and headed off in the general direction of the route, shown in the topo, and on finding a well worn piece of rock and an eroded piece of turf I guessed I was at the belay for the fourth pitch.

Another climber belaying their partner on Pedestal Wall (S).

We now thought we were back on route and carried on up the rock, but when it came around to my next lead I soon found myself topping out. I brought the second up and after some puzzling we came to the conclusion that my wandering traverse had gone too high, and too far, meaning that we ended up on the final two pitches of Raven Crag Buttress (VD). This wasn't really a problem, but it definitely made the day memorable and there is now a reason to return; to actually climb Corvus.

At the top, confused, but happy with the climb.

Tomorrow I'm off with Wild River on a Level 2 Transfer day and then I'm away up to Scotland. The main reason for the trip north is the Wet West Paddle Fest, but I'm also hoping to get a couple of days in Glen Coe climbing and walking.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: