04 July 2011

Thirlstane Sessions

Phoebe and her mum at the crag.

It's been a while since I posted, and it's almost been as long since I've donned my rock shoes and pulled onto a problem or route. This afternoon we visited Thirlstane in Dumfries and Galloway for an afternoon on the beach and a session in the sandstone tidal borehole.

Topping out on The Groove (Font 5).

It's an impressive spot, with some highly graded problems, which is a shame as the long absence from the rock has affected my footwork and strength meaning I wasn't pulling at my best. However, I ticked a fair few problems, with the hardest being in the Font 6c region. I also held the crux move, for a couple of seconds, on a Font 7a, and got up to the crux on a Font 7b on the first go.

Topping out on Bad Sneakers (Font 6a).

It was nice to be out on the rock again, and even nicer to be at the crag with Phoebe, however it was also disheartening at how a short absence from the rock has such an affect on your climbing.

Reaching for the pocket on Jihad (Font 7a).

It's back to the daily grind tomorrow with work and such like, but having just checked my emails I've discovered I graduated with a First Class Honours in Outdoor Leadership.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: