13 June 2010

Bouldering and Climbing

Looking over Low Boulder, Mushroom Boulder and Boardman's Boulder in December.

I've just had two days of work at Whinlatter Forest Park for Go Ape, but before that I had a short afternoon session on the Gabbro blocks of Carrock Fell. It wasn't the most productive of sessions, but it was nice to be out on the fell side and in the sunshine once again after an annoyingly damp week.

Bleak How from Langstrath Beck.

Even though I was at work on both Saturday and Sunday it did not thwart my climbing adventures. After finishing work surprisingly early on Saturday (probably something to do with the football) one of my work colleagues and myself made the short drive into the Borrowdale Valley, and after a brisk walk up the side of Langstrath Beck we were at the base of Bleak How.

An unknown climber making moves on Bleak How Buttress (E2-, 5c).

I tied into the sharp end as soon as we had regained our breath and set off up The Reiver (HVS, 5a), whilst another team worked away on Bleak How Buttress. I was feeling happy on the climb; I was reading the moves well, but more importantly was making them with ease. However when I took a brief rest, about two thirds of the way up the route, I had the chance to look down and realise that there were only three pieces of marginal protection in place to save me from hitting the floor and that was it. I was back at that metaphorical wall. That wall that I need to be able to climb over in my minds eye in order to succeed at this game I insist on playing. Needless to say tonight was not that night and instead I made a hasty abseil retreat down the ropes left in place by the team who had successfully made an ascent of Bleak How Buttress.

The evening's climbing session was not all negative however; my work colleague dispatched Bleak How Buttress with ease and I followed them up it.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: