11 November 2006

The Times Gap Year Show

I've just got back from a day out in the busy metropolis of Manchester. It isn't often that I head into the big city of the north-west but I had bought tickets to go to the Times Gap Year Show at the G-Mex so I thought it might be a good idea to go and see what was happening there.

We had an early start and it was that early we arrived at the doors to the G-Mex and the exhibition was closed. We waited for a while in the biting cold wind before they eventually let us in to peruse the stands at our leisure. Our first port of call was the PGL stand, and then once finished here it was across the walk way to the Cotswold Outdoors garage climbing wall to pit my skills against a block of revolving metal. I lasted for two minutes two seconds - only twenty-three seconds behind the exhibition best, set by a member of the British Climbing Team - before falling off and hitting the deck. We were then finished and it was only just before eleven o'clock so we dragged the exhibition out a bit with a coffee during the two minutes silence for Armistice Day, before going to investigate travel insurance for the year and finally a talk about funding Gap Years. We eventually finished and headed into Manchester for lunch and some afternoon shopping with my brother who's studying at Manchester University.

The day was rounded off with a Chinese buffet and then we headed home. I think I've now got my options sorted for my Gap Year. I'll be applying to work at PGL for the full year and hopefully get some travelling in, in between the two seasons my Gap Year covers. I may also apply for Acorn Adventure and TJM Travel if I get no joy with PGL.

I'm off paddling tomorrow so I'll post soon.

As always,

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: