29 April 2009

Bad weather never stops play

There is never such a thing as bad weather. Ok there is, but it never has to stop you from getting out in the outdoors and enjoying yourself. If it's raining I tend to hit the rivers, if it's dry I try and get on some rock and when it's wet, but not wet enough to float down a river, I fill my time with pacing the Lake District fells. Today was one of those days.

Looking across to High Hartsop Dodd and the Eastern Ranges from Hartsop above How.

I started from Cow Bridge and made a quick ascent of Hartsop above How before traversing this ridge line to push on up Hart Crag. From here I made a descent to the col of the aforementioned summit and Dove Crag before reaching the 792m high promontory of Dove Crag.

Fairfield and Hart Crag from a small pool on Hartsop above How.

The summit cairn of Dove Crag with Windermere in the background.

From here I headed on in a south-easterly direction with my final objective being Red Screes, but on the way it just seemed stupid to miss the opportunity of taking lunch at Little Hart Crag (637m).

The Ordnance Survey column on Red Screes.

From Red Screes a steep descent was made down to the Kirkstone Pass Inn. I headed back into the North Lakes along the road before taking the permissive footpath just uphill of Smithy Brow to Hartsop Hall and then on along the shores of Brothers Water to Cow Bridge.

The Kirkstone Pass Inn, which the highest pub in the Lake District.

I'm off to the climbing wall this evening for a bit of vertical fun.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: