02 July 2009

Back to Lake District Exploring

One thing I regretted about the Alps trips was the fact that I wouldn't be able to go climbing for a few days. I hoped that yesterday would have been the day that I could slip back into my stickies, throw the pads on the ground and scale some boulders. It wasn't to be. The Met Office's rain radar didn't looking favourable; it showed a band of rain moving in over St. Bees around 1pm. This was far from ideal for a venue best experienced in the afternoon sun. This left me with some decisions to make, and after trawling over my maps I came up with a walk that would take in a fair few peaks.

The summit of Grey Knotts.

I started out from the slate mines at Honister and made a short, but steep ascent to the top of Grey Knotts (697m) before continuing in a southerly direction to Brandreth (715m). I've visited this summit on a previous occasion and I followed the route I took that time once again to the col at Scarth Gap on the western flank of Hay Stacks.

On the ascent of High Crag.

An ascent of Seat was made before it's bigger brother, High Crag (744m), was reached. From here a westerly path was taken along the top of Comb Crags to High Stile (807m) and then on along Chapel Crags to Red Pike (755m).

Walking through Burtness Woods.

From Red Pike I made a descent to Bleaberry Tarn over some rather loose, sketchy terrain before taking a well made path down the hillside into Burtness Woods, which lines the southern shore of Buttermere. I walked along the shore, stopping once for an ice cream at Gatesgarth Farm, before making my final ascent back along Honister Pass to the slate mines.

I think I might pop out this afternoon for a quick bouldering session to dust off the cobwebs and put my mind at rest after such a long break from climbing in such a long time. I'm undecided as to where at the moment, but it could either be over near St. Bees Head or Little Font in Kentmere. Oh, the decisions.


Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: