02 November 2008

Condemned Batteries and Cold Currents

RAC to the rescue. This isn't the van that rescued me though.

I decided to go paddling today at my old hunting ground, Halton Rapids, which are on the River Lune just outside Lancaster. This is where I first learnt to kayak on moving water. I also had my first few swims here as well as my first roll in anger on moving water so you could say it holds a special place in my heart. However, one major problem held me back this morning; it was the van mobile. I came to start the engine and nothing apart from a lot of weird clicking noises, which I have only heard once before and that was when I had left my headlights on during two lectures the other week and run my battery flat. There was a bit of huffing and puffing whilst I insisted that it couldn't be a flat battery because I hadn't left any electrical device on in the van, then I admitted defeat and called out the RAC. Half an hour later the engine was going with a helpful jump start and I was facing the fact that I was going to have to replace the 10 year old battery this week.

Apart from that the paddling was good. The rapids were just like they normally were and the usual waves, that I can remember from last year, were still there for me and Roger to play on.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: