17 August 2009

A bit of a ramble

Obstacles on the path along Stoneycroft Gill.

On Sunday I said I was off camping and walking around the Langdales and if I was being honest I'd say: that didn't happen. The main reason being the weather, but also a bit of laziness on my part, as it was forecast for 55mph gusts on the fell tops, which isn't the best conditions for wild camping besides Stickle Tarn.

Litter strewn across Grasmoor.

This meant that Sunday was, for me, a lazy day, but today saw me rambling around the Derwent Fells. I started out from the Newlands Valley and walked up the side of Stoneycroft Gill and then from here I made a summit of Sail before traversing along The Scar to the triangulation pillar at the top of Crag Hill. From here there was a descent to the col of Grasmoor and Crag Hill before making my way across to Grasmoor's 852m summit.

Panarom from NY 188 202.

I backtracked a wee bit so that I could then head off along Wandope and on across Whiteless Edge to the pike, which shares the same name as the edge. A descent was made, across country, down to Third Gill and Sail Beck, before ascending to the col east of Sail so that a final push could be made to Causey Pike and then back on down to the Newlands Valley.

Looking out over the Newlands Valley, Derwent Water, Borrowdale and beyond from Scar Crags.

I'm off climbing tomorrow so expect another post tomorrow evening before another period of inactivity as I'm back at work on Wednesday.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: