12 March 2010

When lectures are optional...


and the weather is rather favourable what would you do? I decided that I would go climbing instead of going to the optional lecture. To be fair the optional lecture was really a tutorial offering help for an assignment, which I feel I have sussed, so I wasn't missing anything of importance. Climbing in the English Lake District seemed the only sensible option to be honest. The venue of choice was the Borrowdale classic, Shepherds Crag, because it is so accessible, but also I had an ulterior motive: to tie into the lead on MGC (E2-, 5c), which I had worked a couple of weeks ago.

Approaching the Saddle Belay on Little Chamonix (VD).

Obviously it would be unwise to jump straight onto MGC so instead we headed up the classic multi-pitch VDiff, Little Chamonix before walking back around to the base of the crag and popping up Kransic Crack Direct (HVS, 5a) before abseiling back down to the ground. I felt suitably warm now and after setting up one of the cameras to make a photographic record of what would be, if I was successful, my hardest lead climb to date I tied in and started up the route.

The camera set up ready for the lead attempt on MGC (E2-, 5c).

Unfortunately the pictures of the ascent are not on the camera I have access to, but once I receive a copy of the pictures I'll pop them on here, but the ascent went well. The tactics I had for the route were spot on, which meant I could place the necessary gear and make the more important moves with little pump in my forearms, which made it all go a bit easier.

I've now got two days of work up in Whinlatter Forest for Go Ape, and then next week I am pretty free so hopefully I'll be able to get back out on the rock and continue working away on some of the Lake District classics.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: