13 August 2010

Juggling...

I mentioned in my last post that I would be juggling climbing with driving, sleeping, eating and working on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and to be honest that is how it has been. I suppose you could also add that I had to fit this in around the unpredictable Cumbria weather.

A drip forming on the seeping Langdale Boulder.

I worked in a dry Whinlatter Forest Park on Wednesday before heading in the general direction of Coniston Water for Thursday's work with Summitreks. To fill the evening I was going to call in on the Langdale Boulder's for a quick session. However, on arriving at the boulder it was apparent that the previous days rain had, had an effect. The boulder was still climbable, but the odd sodden hold caused some problems from time to time, and this started to worsen as it decided to start spitting.


The Langdale Sessions.

A calm and tranquil Coniston Water.

I worked on Coniston Water under a blue sky for the majority of Thursday, but on finishing the day's work the heavens opened for what was only twenty minutes leaving the roads and rocks dripping. I started to head back north in preparation for Friday's work back up at Whinlatter Forest Park, but I called in at Tilberthwaite first to take a look at the Virtual Crag.

The view over the Central Fells from Virtual Crag in Tilberthwaite.

By the time I had got up to the Virtual Crag the sun had been shining strongly for about an hour and on the whole the rock was dry, however there were several lines of seepage from vegetation on the top of the crag, which made the crag unclimbable. I walked back down to the van and carried on north. I called in at the Thirlmere Boulder's on the way, but these were wet, and so I retired to the van to eat and sleep before Friday's work began.

High Rigg, illuminated in the evening sun, with a cloud topped Helvellyn Massif behind.

Looking south along Thirlmere as the sun goes down.

I worked in a dry Whinlatter Forest Park today and after finishing work I headed into Borrowdale for a quick session on the Bowderstone seen as I missed out on Thursday. I repeated the usual problems: The Crack (V4), The Crack Direct (V5), The Crack Super Direct (V6) and On the Rebound (V7) and I also topped out on Bowderiser (V6), which I have worked on many of the previous Bowderstone sessions with little success.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: