05 March 2009

Some walking for a change

I managed to get out and do something I've not done in a long time; get into the heart of Cumbria and have a bit of a stroll around the Lakeland Fells. Of late the weather has been relatively mild meaning that much of the snow from a couple of weeks back has melted, but temperatures have started to drop again and the fluffy, white stuff has tried to make a reappearance.

Looking up Ullswater towards Glenridding and Patterdale.

My walk started off just south of Ullswater in Patterdale and from here I made a speedy get away from the road before making an ascending traverse of Patterdale Common to Boredale Hause.

Looking west from Boredale Hause.

From here I headed in a southerly direction so that I could pass the flanks of the two Angletarn Pikes before resting on the eastern shore of Angle Tarn.

Looking west across Angle Tarn.

Continuing on in a roughly south-easterly direction through the snow covered fells brought me to a junction of paths just west of Satura Crag.

Looking north-west from Satura Crag.

A bearing was quickly taken here and off I headed, across snow covered country, for the summit of Rest Dodd, where I fittingly took a rest before descending to the col at 600m and then climbing back up to 739m to summit The Knott.

Looking across to The Knott from Rest Dodd.

From here I retraced my steps for some 200m before heading west so that I could descend down to Hayeswater and then follow the outflow downstream to Hartsop and then back along the valley to Patterdale.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: