04 April 2010

Back to the Routine

I've been back no more than 36 hours, which incidentally is the length of time I sat in a tent whilst on the Knoydart expedition, and I'm back into the routine of training for climbing. Yesterday I hit the fingerboard for an hour in the evening after being away from any climbing specific training for seven days. To be honest I needed the change in routine and the Knoydart expedition gave me that and it also allowed my body to recover from the two months of intensive training I had been forcing on it.

I was out this afternoon, after finishing off an assignment, shredding my skin on the Gabbro boulders of Carrock Fell. I didn't get much done: I just repeated a couple of lines and started to work some of the problems higher up the fell, which I haven't visited before, but I can feel the rewards of the seven days rest after such a long bout of training


Trying to find the hold to see me over the lip of Lean-To (V2, 6a).

Pulling off the floor on Undercut Arete (V5) before campusing the next three moves.

Making the powerful move out to the three finger open crimp on Fangtastic (V3).

Fighting the urge to cut loose whilst battling with the roof of Badger Attack (V6).

When I arrived the weather wasn't anything to write home about, but when I had packed the van up and started out on the short drive back to Carlisle it struck me that we've turned a corner in the year and are certainly on our way to summer. As I type now there is the odd wisp of cloud in the sky, the slightest of breezes and the chirp of the local sparrows and still there is no sign of nightfall.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain

No comments: