03 September 2007

It's Christmas

The canal where the paddling sessions are run from.

25th June 10:41pm
It’s Christmas on site, which is a bit odd and all the other members of staff are really hyped up by it. I don’t know what it is but I can’t; maybe I’m still getting use to life on France or Christmas in June is just wrong.

Today I was out on the water for the first time. I was in my Sit-on-Top kayak observing the instructors carrying out sessions. The sessions are very formulaic, but when I’ve got free reign of the sessions I’ll try and implement some more ‘formal’ coaching, which will hopefully add something to the sessions for both the guests and paddlers. The weather has been amazingly awful considering I was expecting it to be some sweltering heat pad and it may be likened to a rather miserable summers day in Preston. It does nothing for my tan and does even less for water activities. We had two instructors come off the water with mild hypothermia and all sailing boats rescued by the power boats. This meant we were hanging around for while on the beach waiting to de-rig all the boats which limped in.

Good lines, stay safe and see you on the wet stuff...
Iain


PS. Having just read through this I have realised that I never said why it was Christmas on site. Basically it’s because Tamaris closes down from September to May meaning none of the staff see each other when it is really Christmas so they have it six months early, or late, depending on how you look at it.

No comments: